Friday, May 2, 2008

Movie store

Michael and I realized today that they don't call them video stores any more because...no one watches videos any more! So we went to a "movie" store where they had a very small selection and a very large confusing set of rental choices. In our area (it's called Back Mountain--I thought this was because it was on the other side of the mountain but no, it's because the mountain is actually named "Back") I guess everyone uses Netflix because there's no Blockbuster or anything like it. This store seemed to sell more popcorn and movie candy than movies. It also had the X-rated movies on the top shelf with the pictures covered up but not the titles. I don't think we'll be going there again.

We also discovered another grocery store which was called Bi-Lo. One would think that the prices would be low, but alas, no. The grocery prices here seem really high to me. And the money the cows are making is ridiculous. Milk is almost four dollars a gallon (about the same as gas, actually) and at Bi-Lo I saw a can of Crisco for $5.47. No kidding! How do they make fried chicken at that price? Oops, I forgot. They don't make fried chicken. There is an amazing grocery store in Wilkes-Barre (about fifteen minutes away) called Wegman's. It's like Whole Foods or Central Market. Really interesting food. So when we're in the mood for a splurge, there's great stuff available that I couldn't get in Texas unless I drove to Fort Worth or Dallas. Last night I went to Wegman's and got pain de campagne, Brie and olives for a very French informal dinner. Tres cool. I haven't hit the wall yet where there's something I really want that I can't get. It's inevitable. But there's so much cool new stuff here in the grocery stores that it should be a while before I'm pining for Bis-Kits.

1 comment:

Georgia and David said...

I've actually noticed that prices can range that much from one store to another here. Smith's has cheap "extra's" like chips, candy, crackers, etc. but Macy's has cheap staples (pasta, canned items, baking stuff).

Ask me why I don't drive to macy's. Who knows. I think everyone is seeing an increase on food prices, however. Milk has gone up here as well as eggs (by 100%!).


P.S. I randomly bought a sopapilla mix and didn't notice until I got home that it was Morrison Millings! Too bad they don't have their other stuff too.