Friday, May 16, 2008

The wise man probably had a leaky basement

In the children's song, the wise man built his house upon a rock. I'm guessing he had a leaky basement. One of the things Michael was most intrigued with about our house was the outcropping of slate in the side yard and the fact that the house is built on solid stone. One half of the basement slants and has a slate floor, the other half has concrete on it and is mostly flat. There are some weird step-like things in one corner that accommodate the stone floor underneath. I'm such a klutz, I've marked them all with blue tape. Otherwise I would trip over them constantly. I want to get some of that yellow and black hazard tape to mark it permanently. It also has a drain that takes some of the water seepage outside. We run a dehumidifier all the time. A neighbor told us last week that the previous owner ran two of them. So I think we'll invest.

Today it has rained all day and there are puddles in the slate part of the basement that don't lead to the drain. Michael says he came here on the heaviest rain day in the winter and wasn't worried by what he saw so I'm not panicking yet. I'll wait till he gets home. It's not like it pours here either. It just sort of drizzles. Michael says that they announce on the news if they expect thunder. I'm hoping that they did something to the waterproofing when they treated the house for termites and that we can get it a little drier.

Other than that, I've just changed out the ugliest shelf paper I have ever had the misfortune to see. Suffice it to say that it had moose on it. I've changed to some really cool shelf paper that grips without adhesive and which can be washed in the washing machine. And it grips the stuff in the drawer (I only have one--although I grant that it's a large one) so that it doesn't move around when I open it.

No comments: