Thursday, May 8, 2008

Why downsizing is hard or why I need fourteen pairs of black shoes



When we looked at this house, I noted that the master bedroom closet wouldn't even hold my shoes. Michael laughed. Unfortunately, this is no laughing matter. Here are my fourteen pairs of black shoes. Why do I need all fourteen? From 12 o'clock:
Crocs
Garden or painting crocs so I don't ruin my good Crocs
New casual flats that are in style (Michael said buy them because they are cute)
Vinyl dress shoes for the rain
The only pair of shoes I ever bought in Paris (you can't expect me to give them away)
Stylish dressy suede flats (cannot wear in the rain because they bleed)
Oxfords to wear with pants--these are shoes I can bear to wear all day to teach school in
Clogs
Organ shoes with leather soles
Old worn-out dress flats that I can't throw away because they are comfortable enough for European cobblestones
Sandals
Pumps
Boots
Satin evening shoes

Now I obviously have lots of other shoes that are not black. But you can see the problem. There is a need for each of these fourteen pairs of black shoes. Which pair could I sacrifice? Today alone I've worn five different pair. (Crocs, painting crocs to take out the garbage in the rain, vinyl dress shoes to go to church, organ shoes to play for a funeral and dress flats to go out to lunch after it had stopped raining. And it's only 2:40 PM.) And since I have a 5 1/2 not quite medium foot, any shoe that I gave or threw away, I might not ever be able to replace.

What makes this so sad is that I'm not the only acquisitive one in our marriage. I might feature brass instruments next.

No comments: