Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Big storm



The big news in my life is the announcement of a baby girl granddaughter due on my birthday. Sweet! And I look at the joy my parents continue to get from their grownup grandchildren and I see how bright my future is.

We had a big storm yesterday with some dramatic straight line winds. By Texas tornado standards, it wasn't that dramatic but then in Texas there weren't 70 foot high hemlock trees across the street from my house. Watching those enormous trees sway was fascinating and sickening at the same time. It did occur to me that we ought to be in the basement instead of at the front door but it was quite a show.

I saw on the Weather Channel that a neighborhood in Philly was particularly hard hit. One poor soul had a huge tree uprooted in his yard which in turn flipped over a slab of sidewalk concrete onto his car which he had parked on the street. His other car which was parked in the garage got hit by another tree.

I've been hearing chainsaws all day in my neighborhood. We have a huge tree limb on our burning bush hedge. The limb came from the neighbor's yard so Michael and the neighbor are going to have to work out a way to get it off our lot.

No comments: