Monday, June 9, 2008

On the mend


Yesterday, I dragged myself to church with a box of Kleenex and a sack of throat lozenges and coughed my way through sacrament meeting on the organ bench. Then back to bed for the rest of the day. It was a scorcher by Shavertown standards (96 degrees)and very humid. And we have no A/C. Michael really suffered yesterday but I didn't mind the heat too much. We will be getting a room unit I feel sure after Michael's experiences yesterday. We had already discussed where we might put in a window unit.

Today, not much of anything has happened because I learned a long time ago that you need to rest one more day than you think you should. This isn't laziness but common sense. A relapse is always worse than the original whatever it was you got.

I'm trying to justify the expense of a daily newspaper. But the Times-Leader costs a fortune. The other paper around here, The Citizens' Voice, really looks like a rag. It's printed tabloid-style like the National Enquirer. I can't bring myself to subscribe to it even though it's cheaper. The Times-Leader also includes the weekly edition of our local paper, The Dallas Post, so I guess I'll have to spend the money. I've realized that reading the local paper really makes you feel a part of the community. Church will never do that here since our ward boundaries are huge. We have many different communities represented in our congregation. I think there are only two church families in Shavertown where I live.

The picture I took a while ago of the back of our house. The sugar maple is enormous and shades the entire backyard.

2 comments:

Georgia and David said...

Is that a car parked on the grass?

I'm just sayin...

Susan said...

Of course there's a car parked on the grass. It's the Denneys, right?