Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Old-fashioned department store


I was looking for some special pantyhose for these weddings coming up and called Macy's. The lady there said that they had sold out for the season. (What?? People don't buy pantyhose all summer?) Anyway, I tried Boscov's which is a department store downtown and the lady there said they had plenty and that they had colors that were very fair (for the whiter shade of pale like myself).

I went and parked the car in a pay parking lot. (This reminded me of old-time shopping trips with my mom in downtown Shreveport. Then I entered this real time warp of a department store. It looked exactly like Selber Bros., Rubinstein's, and Goldring's in Shreveport used to look with big glass counters and lots of mirrors. The perfume counters are in the middle as you come in, followed by jewelry followed by the escalators (this store had four floors!). And the clothing was pretty time-warpy too. The seventies-style polyester smock tops were sending me right back to my early married days. The store has everything from a beauty salon to photo finishing place to restaurant.

And yes, they had plenty of pantyhose like I needed. And I bought a great set of flannel sheets for our very pudgy and hard-to-fit mattress 75 per cent off. Michael had said we weren't going to be stoic like the last time we lived in a cold climate. Our stoicism then was pretty much determined by our lack of funds. So he said we would have remote car starters and warm clothes and flannel sheets.

I looked for American Quilter magazine (which features a photo spread and an interview with my firstborn this quarter) but the local Barnes and Nobles downtown doesn't have much in the way of magazines. Disappointing.

The best thing that happened today was that I got to talk to MF and her two, M and V. M was excited to count backwards from twelve and V sang her ABC song. Tomorrow I leave for Shreveport, so will probably have limited time to blog. The weather is so gorgeous here, it's a shame to leave. It would be much more fun to miss a blizzard.

The picture is not of a deparment store obviously. I realized I hadn't posted a picture for a while so here's an oldie but a goodie from our trip to France in 2006. I call it "White-haired man with white bear." I love this statue in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. It's by Francois Pompon. I love the simplicity of it. He said he was trying to portray the "very essence of the animal."

No comments: