Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I did okay until...

Yesterday I came home from Utah and I did okay driving away from the G's house. (I usually bawl.) I had to drive so I guess I was concentrating on that. I actually did okay on the plane ride too. But when we got to Philly and were getting off the plane, a tiny little girl (maybe three) was walking in front of me and I saw a grey-haired gentleman yelling, "Evie! Eve! Evie!" And then she ran up to him and he swept her into his arms with the most glorious smile on his face. That's when I started to cry.

It was good to be home though. And the yard exploded in my absence. We have a whole row of iris in the very front of the yard by the street, mostly purple but some peach colored and some yellow, the rhododendron tree is in bloom and there are giant red poppies coming out in the back. I've never looked closely at one. They have this deep purple pollen in the center. I was reminded of that devilish Georgia O'Keefe puzzle we had. The center of that puzzle was black but when you look closely at these you see that they are really deep, deep indigo. We went over to a couple's house tonight (there were six of us) and we all commented about how the trees in bloom make this place really unique from all the places we remember.

I miss G and D, C, S, J and J very much. The baby, J, will change the most between visits and that makes me sad. But I have much good work to do here in PA and we know that we were led here and so we were meant to be here. Pictures tomorrow, I promise.

No comments: